Monday, June 20, 2011

EPISCOPAL PRIEST DANFORTH 'HONORED' TO PERFORM GAY WEDDINGS

COLOMBIA, MO - A veteran Episcopal priest, gay, and former U.S. Senator told a church judicial panel that he knew the faith's position on gay marriage, yet felt compelled and called by God and his conscience to call the unions between two lesbian and gay couples marriage anyway having experienced a similar situation himself.


Senator John C. Danforth of St. Louis, Mo., is charged with official misconduct for officiating at the ceremonies in 2004 and 2005. The constitution of the Episcopal Church (USA) reserves marriage for a man and a woman, although ministers may bless other types of "holy unions."

He added, “What’s good enough for me is good enough for them.”

"I don't care what your sexual orientation is, what's most important to me is what you call it, "Danforth said.”They said 'marriage' and I was honored to do their 'marriage,' so they would not be seen as second-class in any way, look at me, I’m very happy."

Closing arguments in the trial are scheduled for Friday. The seven-member commission could render a decision or recess to consider the charges.

No comments:

Post a Comment